Our household experienced a first yesterday…the effects of poison ivy.
In his effort to make some spending cash this summer, Lucas has been mowing lawns in the neighborhood. Yesterday morning a customer of his called and asked if he could mow her yard. He jumped right to it and headed out, pushing his red machine down the street toward her house.
About an hour or so later, the boy walks into my home office and proudly announces “I ran into some poison ivy.” By then, his left forearm was already swollen, red and quite blotchy.
2012 marks my 31st year raising children and this is the first time I have experience any of my kids coming into contact with the pain and itch inducing plant. I was unsure of what to do, so I phoned the doctor’s office. I informed the assistant who answered the call that this scenario was new to me and I needed the Doc to provide direction on what I needed to do. The lady on the other end of the phone chuckled, wrote down my information and said she’d have Dr. D give me a call shortly.
Apparently (for those who may not be aware, as I was) poison ivy is easily treated and all I needed to do was pick up a prescription at the pharmacy. I love it when life is as simple as this!
Ahh…all is right in our little corner of the world today!